Tuesday, October 3, 2017

View of Heaven, Seat in Hell

"Time will bring you answers."


            People in the most extreme survival situations often find beauty, even joy, in their plight. Thus, courage arises from their contemplation of the majestic beauty of the world. They revel in the magnificence of creation and have near religious experiences. Having found manifestations of God in their midst, they go forward with renewed strength and hope.
            The Miracle of the Andes occurred when a chartered plane carrying 45 people, mostly members of a Uruguayan rugby team, crashed high in the Andes in 1972. They were stranded for 72 days. Only 16 survived. Having quickly run out of food, they resorted to cannibalism, eating the flesh from the frozen corpses of their friends and relatives.
            Realizing that searchers had abandoned all hope they were alive and that they were all slowing dying, two of the passengers, Roberto Canessa (above) and Nando Parrado, made a 10-day trek out of the high mountains, before finally encountering shepherds who told authorities they were alive.

"Doors you never imagined"

            More than 30 years later, documentary filmmakers flew some of the survivors back to the crash site. In the resulting film "Stranded," Canessa sits with his daughter, looks at a distant mountain, and says:
            "Imagine the whole valley pure white everywhere. I felt privileged to be here. No one else but me was able to see this. I learned that when everything feels hopeless, if you wait a little, sometimes in the walls that seem to offer no way out, doors you never imagined may appear, if you know how to wait.
            "When you're desperate and don't know what to do and think you're going to die, just wait a little, and time will bring you answers. That's what happened. The wind died. The moonlight was beautiful. It was horribly cold, and I felt close to God. I don't feel it now. Whoever made all of this, the Creator, was my friend."
            After being rescued, Canessa completed his education and became a cardio-thoracic surgeon. (It was he who originally suggested to the other survivors that they use the bodies of the deceased to stay alive.)

"I clearly see..."

            Shipwrecked sailor Steve Callahan had a similar epiphany while floating in the Atlantic Ocean. He had sailed alone from Newport, Rhode Island, to England in a 21-foot sloop he built and designed himself. On his return in 1981, he sailed from Cornwall to the Canary Islands, heading for Antigua.
          Seven days out, in a gale during the night, an unknown object (Callahan thought it was a whale) jabbed a hole in his boat. Watertight compartments kept it from sinking immediately. He scrambled into in six-person life raft that measured about six-feet across. Before his boat went down, he scavenged charts, a spear gun, and solar stills for generating fresh water. After 76 days, he had drifted across the ocean, and fisherman near the Caribbean island of Guadeloupe found him, thanks to the sea birds that hovered over his raft.


            During the voyage he realized that he had "a view of heaven from a seat in hell."
In his book "Adrift," he wrote: "In these moments of peace, deprivation seems a strange sort of gift. I find food in a couple hours of fishing each day, and I seek shelter in a rubber tent. How unnecessarily complicated my past life seemed.
            "For the first time, I clearly see a vast difference between human needs and human wants. Before this voyage, I always had what I needed—food, shelter, clothing, and companionship—yet I was often dissatisfied when I didn't get everything I wanted when people didn't meet my expectations, when a goal was thwarted, or when I couldn't acquire some material goody.
            "My plight has given me a strange kind of wealth, the most important kind. I value each moment that is not spent in pain, desperation, hunger, third, or loneliness. Even here, there is richness all around me. As I look out of the raft, I see God's face in the smooth waves, His grace in the dorado's swim, feel His breath against my cheek as it sweeps down from the sky. I see that all of creation is made in His image."

MORAL: Be grateful for the gift of life

Buy the book "Courage 101: True Tales of Grit & Glory" at Amazon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm thrilled to announce that I will be a guest on the WSMN-AM morning show talking about my new book " Courage 101: True Tales...