Sunday, November 12, 2017

A Beautiful Surface

“Had I not been forced to confront myself, I might never have come to know and admire the person I am.”       


“Nothing is so deceiving as a beautiful surface,” wrote Leo Tolstoy. When dazzled by a beautiful TV star (or handsome movie actor), who among us does not think, “How perfect that person looks. How wonderful it must be to live that person’s carefree life.”
            The gorgeous Mary Tyler Moore won fame for her comedic gifts, starring in two hit TV programs, yet she faced severe trials in her personal life—divorce, alcoholism, diabetes, and the tragic death of her only child.
In the early 1960s for five years she played a suburban housewife on “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” and she did it so well people actually thought that she and her co-star were married. Daring for her day, she wore tight-fitting capris at a time when other TV moms vacuumed in pearls and pumps. And given the quaint customs of the day she had to tone down the tight fit of her pants to make herself less alluring.
A few years later in “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” she played a single career woman. It was a groundbreaking role in its day because single career women were mostly nowhere to be seen on television, especially those who dated, as she did on the show. Even before the show premiered, the producers had to tone down her character. Originally, she was to have been a divorcee, and that was too, too much more for those times.

“Thrilled and bursting”

The women she portrayed on television were nearly unceasingly cheerful and good-hearted. Their problems were resolved in 30 minutes. Their woes either involved enduring a nitwit work colleague or keeping dinner warm for a husband on a late train out of Penn Station.
In reality, Moore was married three times. Her first marriage to an Ocean Spray cranberry salesman ended shortly after her first series went on the air. “During the first year of the show, as thrilled and bursting with the excitement over my work as I was, I was equally without emotion at home,” she wrote.
She then wed an ad agency executive who later produced her second hit. That relationship ended in an alcoholic blur as Moore favored “fishbowl-sized glasses of vodka on the rocks.” (Her mother was an alcoholic, and she spent much of her childhood living with nearby relatives because her mother was so incapacitated. When she was six-years old, a trusted neighbor sexually molested her. When she told her mother, she told her, “It didn’t happen.”)
Of her second marriage she wrote, “We made these feeble attempts at self-counseling during the so-called happy hour, the only time we had courage enough to broach the subject….In case there’s any doubt about the acute state of my alcoholism, and the insanity it produced, I can recall with sickening clarity that on more than one occasion I played Russian roulette with my car, and what’s more, some unwary, innocent people played with me.”


News of this would have been unbelievable at a time when Moore played America’s sweetheart on Saturday night television. Finally, during her third marriage, she found the courage to enter the Betty Ford Center. Named after the former first lady, this Palm Springs, California, facility serves a wealthy clientele with substance abuse problems. Moore actually fled after only three weeks of the five-week program. After a conversation with Betty Ford, she returned to complete it. “That phone call saved my life,” she said.

“The person I am”

She came to believe that she was glad she struggled with—and conquered alcoholism. “Had I not been forced to confront myself,” she wrote. “I might never have come to know and admire the person I am.”
Moore, a lifelong dancer, also had a hefty cigarette habit. She smoked two and, astonishingly, even three packs a day. She had to find the courage to snuff out that addiction as well. It did not help that her third husband, a cardiologist, also smoked.
Diagnosed with diabetes while hospitalized following a miscarriage, she struggled with keeping the disease under control most of her adult life, even though she knew her drinking could have caused “serious” health effects. “I was never scolded,” she wrote. “I wouldn’t have listened, anyway.”
Her worst blow came in 1980 when her only child Richie, 24, died when a shotgun he was handling fired. The death was ruled an accident, and this firearm was later taken off the market because it had a “hair-trigger.”
She felt she had failed as a mother. Several years earlier he had struggled with a cocaine addiction. At his funeral, she wept, telling God, “’You take care of him,’ I screamed at the sky.”
Moore was well aware of her imperfections. She struggled with them all her life. “I’ve two very distinct inner spirits who live my life for me, playing hide-and-seek at times,” she wrote. “There does seem to be one brooding, paranoid, and pessimistic Mary Tyler Moore….The other Mary is a supremely confident champion. They do battle with each other, one emerging to rule for a time depending on outside circumstance.”


MORAL: Have spunk.

Buy the book "Courage 101: True Tales of Grit & Glory" at Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm thrilled to announce that I will be a guest on the WSMN-AM morning show talking about my new book " Courage 101: True Tales...